Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Serial Story Working Title: Music Is My Boyfriend

Chapter 1
Cade

If there’s anything I absolutely hate in this world its waiting. My lips are raw and most probably be bleeding by the time this is over.

My knee keeps bouncing up and down, my hands drumming my thighs. I get glares from the people seated beside me but I sure as hell don’t care what they think of me right now. If anyone’s going to say anything about it though, they may find themselves at the receiving end of my very sharp tongue. My mom used to say I need to draw back a bit on the pissy attitude but I guess I got more of her genes that she would have liked, she and I do not edit – at all. The women in my family were born without filters and it’s gotten me in more trouble than I could count.

I sighed heavily and looked at my watch for the hundredth time, it’s almost 3pm and that girl I talked to earlier is taking too fucking long for my liking.

The girl finally appeared from where the hell she came from – and took her freakin’ time – and looked us over, “Ms. Cadence Mendoza?”

“Here!” I stood up and brought my bag with me, she motioned me over to get in the room where she came from and asked me to sit. This looks like a freakin’ interrogation room and like a criminal; I knew I had to watch my words here like my life depends on it.

“Hello, Ms. Mendoza” she greeted me while sitting down.

“Hi.” I smiled, or tried to.

“I have here your test scores…” She smiled at me warmly, “you aced it. Our aptitude tests suggest you would do well in one of our Communications courses, Journalism perhaps?”

I suppressed a snort, “That sounds great, but I actually have set my eyes on something else.” I smiled.

She looked my documents over, “Ah. Musical Arts.”

I bit the inside of my cheek and hoped for the best.

She sighed and closed the folder containing all of my documents, references from my previous school, recommendations from my musical advisors, my essay on why I wanted to enroll here and all the other things I needed to get in. My heart is thumping in my chest, my ears are burning.

“You do know we only allow enrollees for the College of Music one year in advance for possible candidates?”

I couldn’t form words so I just nodded.

“We do this because our program only caters to specific schools first then we give a very limited opening to other schools because of how highly competitive our College of Music is.”

I nodded again and through some sort of sheer will power I was able to get out, “That’s why I wanted to enroll here.”

Getting into this school was a dream of mine; I worked so hard for so long all because I want to get into the best school there is. And getting into the best school means I get a bigger chance of actually making it – making music for the rest of my life. Unfortunately, fate had other plans for me – my final year in high school everything turned to shit. And just when I thought I put all of that behind me, here it comes biting me in the ass… again.

She sighed again, “But you are a year too late, all the slots are filled. We have a waiting list of a hundred students and I am telling you now that there are no exceptions to our policy.”

My eyes are stinging but I forced the tears down and just looked at the walls, the ceiling, anything but looking into her eyes. I think I’m gonna cry and I don’t cry, ever. Not anymore anyway.

“But…”

I looked over at her; she seems to be contemplating something. She bit her lip and moved her chair closer to the table, like she was going to tell me some big secret, “I’m not supposed to say this, but we really have a tough program, most students either back out or fail during their first year.”

Is she saying what I think she’s saying?

She smiled at me, “If you are willing, you can enroll to a different College first and we’ll see if anything opens up by the end of your first year.”

I’m not an idiot by any means, or gullible so I weighed my options. I don’t have a lot but still I needed to be careful how I handle this. I gnawed on my lip furiously as I thought about the possibility of this turning in my favor by the end of the year. If I don’t take this now I won’t have any chance with my 2nd or 3rd options – and seriously, this has been IT for me. I’ve never even glanced at any other College during my senior year. I was hell bent on enrolling here and now that I’m here and if there’s even the slightest chance that I can get in the Music program, I’ll take it. Convincing my mom will be a challenge but I think she’ll see it as I see it which is better than nothing.

Finally, I looked over to her and smiled – a real one this time, “I’ll do it.”

She grinned at me and offered her hand. I took it and she shook my hand as she said, “Welcome to Benedict College”.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember it now it takes me back to when it all first started
But I only got myself to blame for it and I accept it now
It's time to let it all go, go out and start again
It's not that easy
But I've got high hopes
-Kodaline, High Hopes

Chapter 2
Rob

To say that I had a rough start in College is a pretty big understatement. Boy meets girl (and she’s an exceptionally special one at that), girl falls for boy, boy screws up, boy’s best friend swoops in and makes girl realize she can do so much better, girl leaves boy and falls for boy’s best friend. Makes for a fucking great story doesn’t it? Only I’m the villain in this narrative.

Yup, I was in love with my best friend’s girl, granted she was my girl first but with everything that happened I can’t blame Marley for choosing Chris over me.

We’re on our 3rd year of College and Marley and Chris have been dating for almost a year now. I should be happy and part of me is but sometimes when I look at them I still feel... something. It's not love for my best friend's girl but something close to longing. I can't help but think of the ‘What if's’.

Chris is completely over the fact that I used to date Marley though, after we talked about it and after we promised we won't let another girl come between us things began to get better. He trusts me enough that he sometimes asks me for favors like bringing Marley home when he can't. At first I felt as awkward as hell but Marley's the kind of girl you just can't help but like - she made me comfortable with her again. And bless her she really went out of her way to patch things up between Chris and me.

If you think about it, they really are perfect for each other. And here I am spending my free period at the coffee shop where she works at. It's fucking insane is what it is, I used to tell myself. But I really enjoy being around them, they're good people. And they can't help it if they found each other. I need to stop thinking about this.

Marley looks over at me funny, "Penny for your thoughts?"

I spaced out again. When I'm alone with her I do that a lot. She doesn't seem to notice though she never called me out on it.

I sighed, "Even if you offer me a million bucks I wouldn't tell you."

She pouted.

Fucking adorable.

"Your coffee's gone cold. Want me to heat it up for you?" She smiles at me.

"Nope, I'm good." I go back to reading.

"So..." here she goes.

I look up at her.

"...this Saturday?" She bites her bottom lip. She's been asking me to go with her and Chris on the Comic Con in the city, I already told her no but she's persistent. Chris makes her go to them every chance he gets and although she doesn't want to she goes anyway coz he likes them.

I sighed again for effect, "Marley, I told you I can't go. I have plans." I actually don't but I am not in the mood to be their third wheel. I feel bad for her though, she loves Chris but she's just not interested in his Comic book obsessions.

"Please, Rob. I really need you there. He's gonna go on and on about the Marvel and DC universes and I would have to pretend that I actually listen."

I laugh, "It's not that bad."

"You know I like the movies, I do. But the Comic books are too much. And he freakin’ quizzes me." She huffed and slouched on the chair, defeated. "I don't think I've ever passed those quizzes."

I looked at her, "Then tell him you don't want to go."

She shook her head, "I can't. He loves those things."

I shrugged, "Then suck it up."

She stood up and just shook her head, "You’re a big help.” Then wrinkled her nose at me, “Well then, I better get back to work."

I watched her leave, thinking how fucking lucky Chris is to have her.

I sighed and noticed the time, “Shit!”

I get to my car and floor it, the coffee shop is a couple of blocks from the school so I was close enough, and I ran to the building barely missing a couple of girls on my way there. Some even tried to stop me to chat but I just winked at them and continued running. It’d be safe to say that I’ve been over compensating with dating girl after girl, but sometimes I catch Marley looking at me with sad eyes like she knows what I’m doing, she’s never said anything about it though. Chris on the other hand talks to me about it, he tells me I need to find someone and just see where it would go. I laugh it off and tell him why date just one when I can date them all?

I don’t need to check the time coz I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be late to the class I’ve dropped twice before. I have to put in the work this year, I’ve been slacking and it shows. The classes I pass, I barely do and mom has been busting my balls about it, threatening to take back my car if I don’t get my shit together, and to top it all off I’ve got Prof. Diaz for my College Algebra and he loves me (Insert sarcasm here).

I ran up the stairs two at a time and when I got to the 4th floor and turned right I almost crashed into one of the biggest regrets of my life – Louise. She slowly dragged her eyes from my chest to the length of my body and I almost shivered. Allie was bad but she’s got nothing on Louise. I’m already freaking out just by standing in front of her.

“Hello, Rob.” She’s one of the prettiest girls I’ve ever dated but I’ve learned my lesson, a month is a long time to be dating the devil no matter how hot she is.

I put my hands on my hips and took a long breath, “Hi Lou.”

She put her hand on my chest and I fought the urge to cringe, “Where are you off to?”, then she looked behind me, “Not running from anyone I hope.” She smiled.

I looked behind me and shrugged, “Guess I lost them.”

She laughed.

I know her pretty well and I know avoiding her will trigger her possessive tendencies, so I play her little game sometimes just to get her off my back.

I’m really late for class now.

I smiled at her, “You look gorgeous as always, Louise.”

She winked at me, “Regret leaving me now?”

I put a hand over my heart, “Always. Although I still don’t think I’m good enough for you though.” I shrugged and grinned at her.

She’s contemplating something; I hope she buys my bullshit.

She flips her hair and walks around me, “Well, keep working on it. I might reconsider someday.”

I stare at her ass while she leaves me there – I’m a guy so sue me.

When she’s out of my sight I continue running.

Chapter 3
Cade

I look over my schedule again and cursed like a sailor. I have too many free periods because I enrolled late and since I didn't get in the College of Music, practicing at school is out of the question.

I need to go home early so I can practice my violin but with a schedule like this I'm fucked. I am not gonna cry. I looked up at the ceiling and took deep breaths to calm myself. I can get through this, I've been through worse. I just need to plan and stick to that plan.

I pulled out my pen and notebook and started writing furiously on the paper. I computed travel time, school time, squeezing in assignment completion in the free periods so when I get home I can immediately pick up my violin and practice. It's looking like a good plan already but it's going to be tough. No social life for you, little Missy. I snorted, like I care about a social life.

I checked my watch, I have 5 minutes before my next class starts so I pick up my stuff and haul ass to the next building.

I almost ran into a couple of students talking in the middle of hall, I cursed internally and thought that they’re fucking lucky I’m running late or I would have given them a piece of my mind.

When I get there the class is packed, it's like there are around 80 students in this and because I'm a bit late it was difficult to find a seat near the front. I like to sit up front because I don't like distractions.

I took a deep breath and walked to the back of the room. There were empty chairs on the left side so I went there. When I sat I mentally cussed because I think I need to actually see the board or hear the professor to pass this class. Well, can't do anything about it now.

Just as the bell rang and old gangly man came in and put his stuff on the professor's table, great! Prof. Grandpa will most probably whisper all the lessons to the front of class and I will fail this subject.

Just when grandpa was scribbling his name on the board another student barged in the double doors, Grandpa stopped writing and looked at him, “Glad you can join us, Mr. Gomez”.

The guy just kept walking while giving the professor a salute. I ignored him and tried to read what's written on the board, he writes so freakin' small, I got so frustrated that before I could stop myself, "Aw fucking hell. How am I supposed to read that? This is just... awesome."

I was shaking my head when I felt something tap my arm, I looked over to my right and there was the “late guy” looking at me, he leaned beside me close enough for his arm to brush mine and he whispered, “He might look old, but he’s got supersonic hearing.”

And as if he shouted it across the room our professor coughed and looked directly at us. The shock might have been apparent on my face that the guy choked on a laugh.

“Something funny, Mr. Gomez?” Prof. Grandpa looked at him over his glasses.

‘Mr. Gomez’ straightened in his chair and appeared embarrassed, “No Sir.”

Professor Grandpa addressed the class, “I still think I need to introduce myself since most of you are taking this class for the first time.” He looked at ‘Mr. Gomez’ beside me, I couldn’t help it so I looked at him as well, and so did most of the students.

He appeared uneasy and shifted in his seat while looking too interested in his notebook.
I get it, he probably did something that pissed Grandpa off but I hate it when people intentionally publicly humiliate another person. So as much as I needed to focus on this class, I knew I needed to say something to this guy.

I wrote on top of my notebook, “Forgive him. Grandpa most probably shit on his adult diapers when you bust through the door.”

I tapped his arm and pointed on my notebook while keeping my eyes on Grandpa.

He coughed and continued to do so when Grandpa looked at us again, I tried to appear concerned and gave him my bottle of water while tapping his back. He took a swig while keeping his eyes on me, he’s eyes are smiling.

I stopped tapping his back and he gave me back my bottle, Grandpa went back to writing on the board.

He tapped my arm again and pointed to his notebook, he’s got nice handwriting, “Thanks for that. ”

I wrote back on my notebook, “No problem. He was a jerk.”

He was writing again and tapped my arm when he was done; he wrote “ROB” then drew an arrow pointing to him.

I wrote on my notebook, “CADE” then drew a stick figure of a girl with multiple cuss words around her head.

His shoulders shook in silent laughter.

He wrote again, “Cade? Interesting name. Short for?”

I wrote back, “Cadence.”

I looked at him while he read my name, then his eyes locked on mine and he smiled at me - I swear my heart fluttered. I looked back to Grandpa immediately regretting talking to Rob.

I took a deep breath and focused on whatever Grandpa was saying. I still feel Rob looking at me all throughout class. Fucking hell.

Chapter 4
Rob

I thought she would at least talk to me after class or even walk with me outside but she all but ran to the door when the bell rang.

I stood there still stunned while trying to figure out what went wrong, she seemed friendly, not flirty and I could actually use a friendly conversation right now but something changed – I’ve dated a lot of them but I still couldn’t figure out girls sometimes.

I shook my head and started walking towards the door when a girl stopped in front of me; she turned around abruptly her long hair hitting my chest. I would have been so pissed if she hit my face.

I put my ‘player face’ on and smiled at her, she’s pretty but not as pretty as Cade. I think I could stare at Cade’s light brown eyes and long lashes all day – wait, where the fuck did that come from?

“Hi.” She smiled at me.

I focused on the girl in front of me and not the one that already left, “Hello.” I smiled back.

She stretched her hand out, “Anna”.

Ah another Anna, but I schooled my features and took her hand, “Rob.”

She smiled at me, “I know who you are.”

I raise my brows in question, “Oh?” I crossed my arms on my chest, “Sorry, but I don’t think I know you.”

She laughed, “No, we’ve never met but my cousin is a junior here and she’s told me about you.” She smiled like she was trying to snag my curiosity.

Unfortunately for her I’m not interested.

I uncrossed my arms and walked around her, “Sorry Anna but I’m pretty busy today.”

“Wait!”

I didn’t look back and just yelled while giving her a wave, “See you next week!”

When I got out of the room I looked right and left to see if Cade is still there, no such luck. I ran a hand through my hair and walked to my next class.

I felt someone clap my shoulder, “Hey man.”

Chris was grinning at me.

I gave him a nod, “Hey! Sup?”

“We have the next class together, remember? How was Algebra?” He’s always been a good friend to me and even if he makes me feel inferior sometimes I realize it’s not his fault, it’s not like her rubs it in my face – he’s just better at almost everything I guess.

He’s concerned that I’m fucking things up so he hovers – he and Marley both, but he’s more outspoken about it.

“It was alright. Diaz made it very clear that he remembers me.”

He scratched his head, “Shit. Sorry man.”

I shrugged, “It’s nothing. I’ll make sure he doesn’t fail me this time.”

He nodded, “Just let me know if you need anything, alright?”

I snorted, “Fine mom.”

He laughed, “How was my girl? Did you see her this morning?”

I shook my head, “You’ve gotta stop dragging her to your Comic Cons, she literally just begged me to come with.”

I looked at him, “Why take her when you know she only does it for you?”

He shrugged, “I like having her there. She used to love coming to those things.” He looked concerned.

I clapped his shoulder, “Just fucking talk it over. I’m getting tired of playing messenger for you kids.”

He nodded, “Thanks man. I owe you.”

I’ll add it to the list, I mumbled.

When we get to class, we bumped into Nina and Kat at the door. I was about to say “Hi” when they both dragged my arms away from class. We got to an empty hallway and Nina whispered to me, “You cannot believe who’s in there.” She points towards the door.

I knit my eyebrows, “Uh, any clues?”

Kat answered, “The devil incarnate.”

My eyes were the size of saucers and I rubbed my fingers on the bridge of my nose, “God dammit.”

It seems like I’ve stirred Lou’s interest again with our encounter earlier. I can’t catch a freaking break.

Nina crossed her arms, “Why is she hanging out here? She doesn’t even have this class.”

Kat answered, “She said she’s sitting in.”

Nina uncrossed her arms and said, “I’ll get her to leave.” She was about to walk away when I stopped her by her arms.

“Don’t even think of interfering, Nina. She’s freakin’ crazy.”

She glared at me, “Then why did you date her?”

I let her go and shrugged, “She’s hot.”

Kat laughed and Nina huffed, “Such a guy thing to say.”

I just smiled.

They both turned to leave me there, and then Nina said, “I guess you’ll drop this class too?”

I sighed, “No I won’t, but I guess I’ll skip today.”

I turned and left them in the hallway.

I had nowhere else to go so I roamed the school, I seriously don’t want to talk to anyone right now and it seems like my incessant dating has finally bit me in the ass.

I’m getting tired of the looks I keep getting from the girls I’ve dated or the girls who want to see what the fuss is about and of course those with hopeful eyes that they’ll be able to turn me into a serious boyfriend, one they can bring home to mommy and daddy and say, “this is him.” Like I’m some fucking lion to be tamed.

I kept my hands in my pockets and my eyes straight, not looking at anyone to avoid any unwanted conversation.

I kept walking until I get to the farthest building in the south of the quad and immediately stopped when I saw Cade looking uncomfortable talking to two guys.

Chapter 5
Cade

I was still panting when I closed the restroom door, “What the fuck was I thinking?”

I shook my head and dropped my bag on the table near the sink while trying to regain my bearings. I rubbed at my chest and tried to calm my pounding heart, “Seriously, calm the fuck down Cadence.”

I breathed deep into my nose and exhaled through my lips, I repeated this five more times just as mom taught me and just when I thought I’ve calmed myself three girls came in and their high pitched giggles made me almost lose my cool.

The tallest and prettiest one said, “I can’t believe he’s in our class, I’ve been stalking his Facebook for a year.”

The other two squeezed in beside me to face the mirror without so much of an ‘excuse me’ and it was physically painful to pick up my bag and walk away to lock myself in one of the cubicles.

They went on for a while and I contemplated risking bumping into Rob outside rather than stay here and hear them talk about some guy. I was just about to open the cubicle door when I heard one of them say, “Robert fucking Gomez is so hot.”

My hand paused on the lock and they continued.

“My cousin said he has a new girl every week since he was a freshman. And he doesn’t date just anyone, he’s got great taste.”

I couldn’t reconcile the guy I met just a few minutes ago from the one they’re describing now. I rolled my eyes, why do I even care? It’s not like I actually know him. Maybe that’s his cover, he seems nice enough that gullible freshmen students fall for his charms then he swoops in for the kill.

I should’ve known it was too good to be true, and if I’m being honest I was already looking forward to next week’s class – now I’m dreading it. I should thank these girls for giving me a head’s up. But I have this weird feeling I’m missing something, I was comfortable with him, he seemed genuinely nice – I pushed the thought away. You shouldn’t care; you don’t have the luxury of caring right now.

I huffed out a breath and pushed the doors open. This is just what I needed, a reason to not get sidetracked and focus on my goals.

I looked left and right to check if he might still be there, when I was sure he wasn’t I started walking to the halls to get to the quad for my first free period. Earlier, I saw a huge tree there facing the Musical Arts building and I mentally assigned it as “my place” for the rest of the year until I finally can go into that building as one of its students.

I walked over to the tree in the quad and stopped when I was in front of the Musical Arts building; it’s just like any other building in this school except for the huge Quaver on the double doors but to me it was so much more.

I sighed and imagined myself walking right inside like I belonged there and I promised myself that I will, no matter how long it takes I will get there. I was too busy imagining that I almost didn’t notice the shadows covering me from the sun.

“Look what we have here.”

I recognized the voice and I immediately whirled around to check if I was right. Holy shit! This could not be happening to me right now. I glared at Dustin and Evan Peters.

They were big guys, cousins and jocks in my high school, both from the cool crowd – the crowd I used to hang out with. I can’t believe for many years I thought they were my friends.

I crossed my arms on my chest and the Dustin the Douchebag checked out my boobs. Evan might have been the nicer of the two, but he’s just as bad as the rest of them because he just stands by while they wreak havoc on the lives of people around them.

Dustin smirked at me, “I didn’t know you went here, Cade.”

I intentionally did not enroll early and let people know where I’m applying to for college because I know it’s better if they thought I was damaged enough not to follow through on my dreams. Get them off my back, but fate it seems like to challenge me, as if I haven’t suffered enough.

My heart is pounding and the sound is slowly making its way up my ears, I want to hit him so fucking bad right now. But I schooled my features, “Like I’d tell you anything, D-bag.”

I looked at Evan, “Still his lap dog, I see.”

Dustin shook his head, “Now don’t get feisty Cade, we don’t want a repeat of High School now do we?”

My blood chilled, my fingers got tingly and I hated the way I felt, like I was back in High School and Dustin knows which buttons to push to get me to react.

He smiled at me like he already knows what I’m thinking, “Our friends say hi by the way.”

I don’t know whether to smack him, cry or run away, but before I can say anything a warm body pressed into my side, his arm around my shoulders, “There you are.”

Hold on, Hold on to me
Coz I’m a little unsteady.
A little unsteady.
-X Ambassadors

Chapter 6
Rob

I can tell Cade was surprised to see me there but she kept it to herself as she smiled at me. She’s literally shaking but I took her smile as a sign that any negative feelings she might have, it’s not directed at me. I rubbed at her arms and looked at the two guys who are now glaring at me and gave them a nod.

“Hey. I’m Rob.”

They were both a bit taller than me, athletes from the looks of it but I’m not worried.

They ignored me and the bigger one looked at Cade, “We’ll see you around, Cadence.”

When they were out of earshot I loosened my grip on her shoulders and put my hands in my pockets. I looked at her sideways and found that she was looking at the guys leaving. Her eyes are glassy, like she’s remembering something but her breathing returned to normal.

I stood in front of her to interrupt her thoughts and I grinned at her.

She looked at me like realizing I was still there but she didn’t return my smile.

Then she glared at me.

All the warmth in her face minutes earlier vanished and I’m fucking confused again. Did I imagine her distress? Should I have walked away and minded my own business?

I scratched my head and faced her, “So…”

She crossed her arms over her chest, like I’m the fucking enemy now.

“Do I get a ‘thanks’ or do I owe you an apology?”

She breathed through her nose but got distracted and looked behind me, “Shit! My spot!”

She all but rammed her tiny body into me to get to ‘her spot’ which I am now seeing is the big tree in the middle of the field.

Still confused, I walked over to where she now was trying to squeeze her butt – a nice butt by the way – in one of the benches facing south. She was getting death glares from most of the students sitting there. But she didn’t care; I guess she really wanted to sit there. This girl’s weird.

While I was making my way to her I realized people were staring at me, some girls waved and smiled at me so I smiled back. I sat on the grass in front of Cade and earned a glare from her. I intend to find out why it’s like she’s flipping a switch from being nice to being mean and why it seems solely directed at me.

I made myself comfortable while still looking at her; I put my bag on the grass and laid my head on it while still facing her. I put my hands on my stomach, “I can see why you want to sit here so bad, it’s nice here. I never noticed.” I smiled at her.

She stopped looking into her bag and shot me an exasperated look, “Don’t you have somewhere else to be?”

I closed my eyes, “Nope!” making the “p” pop.

She shook her head and continued looking into her bag, “Well, I’m busy so…”

I looked at her, “You didn’t answer my question.”

She sighed but kept looking inside her bag for God knows what, “What question?”

I sat up, “Did I help you out back there or was I interrupting something?”

She looked at me, “First of all, I could’ve handled that, so I seriously hope you don’t think I owe you anything. Second, we’re not friends so keep your hands to yourself.”

That comment earned me some dirty looks from the people around us, the relaxing atmosphere suddenly turned icky.

This girl’s starting to annoy me but I smirked at her, “Really? I remember you smiling up at me and if you can handle the situation then why were you shaking?”

She glared at me, “I don’t have time for this, so shoo! Go bother someone else!”

I raised my eyebrows at her, “Did you really just ‘shoo’ me? Like a dog?”

She didn’t even bother to look at me while flipping her hand like I’m a fly, “Go away.”

I laughed, shook my head and stood up, I picked up my bag muttering, “Unbelievable.”

I started walking away but realized I couldn’t dismiss what I saw when she was talking to those guys – fear. So I walked back and knelt in front of her.

Her eyes were bugging out of her head and she leaned away from me, but I whispered, “This is a big school but with places you don’t want to be caught alone in, I hope you have the good sense to bring your friends with you just in case something happens. Or if those guys wanted to continue your conversation.”

Her eyes shifted from my eyes to her lap and bit her bottom lip, like she’s embarrassed or something.

I sighed and pulled out the pen in my pocket and turned her palm up and wrote my number, “Call, if you need someone to bother you.”

I stood up and walked away without looking back.

Chapter 7
Cade

What the hell is up with this guy? He’s confusing the shit out of me.

His sudden appearance earlier was a welcome surprise, he had no idea I was about to have a full blown panic attack if he hadn’t arrived.

Dustin and Evan triggered feelings I thought I have kept in check for the past months, I hate that I still feel scared being around them. Now I don’t know what will happen in the future knowing there’s a big possibility that my past will catch up with me.

I sighed and looked at my palm; I noticed a girl trying to get a picture of his number so I closed my hand around his number. I feel weird about having his number but I wasn’t going to give it away especially since it seems like he really meant what he said about being there if I needed him.

I felt a nudge on my elbow, a petite girl beside me smiled at me, “You did the right thing.”

I looked at her confusion written on my face, “Excuse me?”

She motioned over to where Rob left from and smirked, “I heard he gave some sophomore cooties.”

I snorted.

“He’s got a reputation you know.” She shrugged.

Reputation is a tricky subject for me; I never realized I have immediately judged Rob from what I heard from those girls and now this girl beside me. I looked over at her again; even if it’s scorching hot she’s wearing a sweatshirt that says “The bags under my eyes are designer”. She’s got black rimmed glasses and her hair is in a loose bun on top of her head, she doesn’t strike me as the judgmental type so I asked, “Where did you hear about him?”

She looked at me and pushed her glasses up her nose, “Around?!” she twirled her finger around.

I scoffed, “So do you easily believe what you hear?”

She thought about it for a bit, “No, not really. But with your reaction earlier to him I think you’ve heard about the rumors too.”

She smirked at me.

She hit the nail on the head on that one so I smiled at her, “Touché.”

I thought about what Rob said about having friends around so I offered my hand to her, “I’m Cade.”

She took it but she furrowed her brows and I rolled my eyes, “It’s spelled C.A.D.E. short for Cadence.”

She raised her brows, “Oh. Alright I get it. I think I’ll call you ‘K’.”

I shrugged, “Whatever.”

She smiled, “I’m Liz, spelled like it sounds.”

I smiled back at her, “I think I’ll call you ‘L’.”

She shrugged, “Whatever.”

We grinned at each other.

She leaned a bit closer to me and whispered, “I don’t think he’s a bad guy though.”

I sighed, “No. Not bad but... confusing.”

She smiled at me conspiratorially, “But he looks bad…” Wagging her eyebrows at me, “…if you catch my drift.”

I laughed, “You surprise me, L.”

She raised her chin up, “I may look nerdy, but even I can’t deny that guy’s gorgeous.”

I looked over to where he was a couple of minutes ago, “Yeah. He is.”

She patted my back, “You should prepare the next time you see him, because I don’t think that conversation earlier is over.”

I bit my lip.

I pulled out my phone and saved his number – my fingers are still tingly from the brief contact with him. It’s like there’s an invisible arm around me right now and a hand that’s caressing my palm. It’s oddly comforting.

Liz offered me a wet wipe with a knowing smile on her lips; I shrugged at her while wiping at my hand, “Just in case.”

She nodded, “Yeah right.”

The following moments were filled with comfortable silence while we both did our assignments, I noticed the students under the tree are starting to leave, I checked my watch I have been here for almost an hour and a half, and so I still have 30 minutes before my next class. This is a shit schedule.

Liz suddenly stopped working and looked over at me with a serious expression, “You want me to walk you to your next class?”

I got confused but realized she must have remembered what Rob said to me before he left and I played it off like nothing, “You? Take me to class? I might have to protect YOU.”

She didn’t take the bait, “If those guys are harassing you then you need to tell someone about it.”

She must have been waiting for the other students to leave before she said anything about it, I appreciate her concern but I know Dustin and Evan, they don’t physically do anything, what they can do is much, much worse.

I patted her hand, “Don’t worry, L. They won’t touch me.”

I gathered up my stuff, “I’ll see you later?”

She nodded and started to fix her stuff too, “Yeah. Call me okay?”

I smiled at her and waved goodbye.

I was already sitting in front of the class waiting for the professor to arrive when someone sat beside me, the pretty girl smiled at me showing her perfect teeth. What the fuck is up with the world today? Keep bumping into people.

I faced her, “Can I help you?”

“I’m Louise. I’m a sophomore here. I heard you were talking to my boyfriend today.”

Just then I noticed the girl sitting behind her looking at me, she was the girl trying to get a picture of Rob’s number from me. I glared at her.

I looked at Louise, “I don’t know who you’re referring to.”

She appeared smug, “Rob Gomez, he’s my boyfriend.”

I nodded, “Oh, okay.” Then I went back to writing on my notebook.

Perfectly manicured nails touched my notebook and shut it, “I’m not done talking to you.”

I looked at her, already tired of this situation, “Well, I’m done so leave me alone.”

The girl behind her gasped and she laughed, “You’ve got some nerve, freshman.”

I went back to writing already dismissing her, “Whatever.”

She stood up abruptly, “This is not over.”

I noticed the professor already at his table looking at the two of us, I pointed to her while looking at our Professor, “Sir, she doesn’t take this class so is she allowed to be in here?”

Out professor looked at Louise and pointed to the door, “Get to your next class, Ms. Chan.”

Huh, the professor knows who she is.

She glared at me, flipped her hair and walked out the door.

Her friend transferred to the seat beside me and whispered, “You just made a big mistake. She’s going to ruin you.”

I shook my head and mumbled, “Yeah, she can get in line.”

So I learned to listen through silence

Leave unsaid, unspoken

Eyes wide shut, unopened.

You and me

Always between the lines.

- Between the Lines, Sara Bareilles

Chapter 8
Rob

I’ve been staring at the guys from across the hall talking to a group of girls, it’s been 3 days since I’ve seen them talk to Cade and she hasn’t taken up on my offer. No texts, no calls so I’m assuming she’s doing okay.

I don’t give my personal number to anyone, those girls I used to date get my ‘public’ number – call me a douche but I want to avoid the hassle of changing my number all the time. Come to think of it, I haven’t checked that public number for a while. I took out my phone and checked it, “Fuck!”

The last 24 messages were from Lou, I run my hand through my hair. I read through her messages, the first ones were just the usual flirty texts she sends, ones I should reply to asap to fend her off but the last few ones caught my attention. She was asking about the girl I was talking to earlier this week at the quad, she’s asking if she’s my new toy or something. I huffed a frustrated breath, she’s gonna drive me insane. I looked at her last message and cursed.

“I talked to your girl today, she’s… interesting. I hope you’re done with her or I might have to show her who you really are.”

I looked at her message again and shook my head, this is going too far. I have to set her straight before she messes with Cade.

I was about to leave when Marley appeared in front of me.

She smiled, “Hey you. Where are you off to?”

I pulled out my phone and showed her my Inbox, she gasped and looked at me, “You’re gonna talk to Louise?”

Marley had the good sense to avoid Louise at all times, Louise knows about our history so I’m pretty sure she’ll get a kick out of making Marley uncomfortable, she’s just lucky she has me and Chris protecting her from Lou.

Marley put her hands on her hips, “What did you do? Why is she bothering you again?”

I put my hand up in surrender, “Hey, I didn’t do anything. She’s just messing with me again.”

“Serves you right…” She pointed her finger at me, “You messed with a lot of girls, Rob.”

Then she turned serious, “I’m worried about you.”

I laughed and touched her arm, “Don’t be. I can handle a couple of girls, even a bat shit crazy one at that.” I winked at her.

She didn’t appear convinced, “You know that’s not what I mean.”

I looked seriously at her and touched her furrowed brows, “Don’t worry about me, Lay. I’m doing okay.”

She sighed, “Fine.”

She touched my hand, “You can talk to me about everything, alright?”

I scratched my nape and looked at her, “You guys are worse than my parents.”

She pushed at my chest, “You’re a jerk.”

I put my arms around her, “C’mon, let me walk you to your next class.”

We rounded the corner to get to her building when I saw Cade looking right at us with a confused look on her face.

I let go of Marley and she was looking from Cade to me with a slight frown.

I sighed and stopped in front of Cade, “Hey Cade.”

Marley was about to excuse herself when I pulled at her arm, “Cade, this is Marley, Marley this is Cade.”

Marley smiled and waved at Cade, “Hello.”

Cade turned to Marley and gave her a genuine smile – the one that I’ve seen her give me during class, “Hi Marley, it’s nice to meet you.”

Marley looked at me and back at Cade, “So Cade, how do you know Rob?”

Cade looked at me, “We’re classmates.”

Marley looked confused then realized what subject, “Riiiight, Algebra?”

She had that ‘mom’ tone again so I just waved her off, “Don’t start with the lecture, Lay.”

She tried to look innocent, “What? I wasn’t gonna say anything.”

Cade looked at us both, like she’s trying to understand our relationship. I smiled at Cade, “Marley and I have been friends since freshman year. She’s one of my best friends.”

Marley smiled warmly at me.

Cade looked behind us possibly at the guys I was staring at a while ago and I felt the urge to ask her if she needs me to go walk with her, Marley will understand. But before I could offer, a petite girl linked her arm with Cade, “Hey, K. Let’s grab some lunch, I’m starving.”

She smiled at Marley and me but pulled at Cade’s arm away from us. I guess she’s made friends already. I’m glad she took my advice. I was still looking at her retreating back without realizing Marley was already glaring at me. When I turned around she had her hands on her hips and she was shaking her head, “Don’t even think about it, Rob. She’s a freshman.”

I don’t get upset with Marley but sometimes she just pisses me off, “Do you really think I’m an asshole, Marley?”

She shook her head and held my hand, “Who am I talking to right now? I think I know the real you, the ‘You’ you don’t show anybody else and I get confused sometimes because you perpetuate this ‘image’.”

She let go of my hand, “I’m sorry for trying to figure it out. It won’t happen again.”

She walks away from me and I don’t follow her.

Chapter 9
Cade

“Thanks for the save, L.”

She gripped my arm tighter, “Glad I could be of service, K.”

I don’t know the feeling that came over me when I saw Rob and that Marley girl with Rob’s arm around her; he seemed different when he was with her. Not smug or proud, he just appeared comfortable, happy.

I knew it was jealousy I felt when I saw them laughing in the hallways, but when I got a good look at her I knew she was not the kind of girl you have flings with, she just looked like someone I might like to be friends with. She was wearing a huge hoodie (like a guy’s size) and skinny jeans with black and white sneakers. She looked pretty without trying too hard.

I can’t explain the relief that washed over me when he said they’re friends, I was right about her – she’s not one of his ‘girls’, I think she’s too smart to fall for him.

His nightmare of a girlfriend though, she’s a piece of work. Her name is Louise Chan as I have come to discover. She’s a socialite that’s been hooking up with Rob for the past few years. Their relationship is on and off, and it seems like it’s ‘on’ again if she’s threatening to ‘ruin me’ for it.

“You’ve met Marley, she’s nice.” Liz said.

“You know her?”

She pushed up her glasses, “Yeah, she works at the Coffee shop near here. During the summer I used to a lot of time there until I had to stop coz I palpitate from too much coffee.”

I laughed.

“You should see her boyfriend though, he’s fiiine.” She fanned herself and I shook my head at her.

“I would have never guessed you’d be ‘boy crazy’.”

She faked looking offended, “Chris Lee is not a boy. He’s a man.”

I laughed again, “So this Chris is hot, eh?”

“Yes. We need to watch one of his games so you’ll see what I mean.”

“What does he play?” I twirled my hair into a bun while walking; it’s getting too long I need to get a haircut soon.

She answered, “He plays basketball and I heard he just made varsity.” She sighed “And that officially makes him the hottest guy in school.”

Huh. I’d have to really see this guy, see if the hype is warranted. Then I realized it’s like High School all over again, me being curious about the ‘hottest guy in school’ when I ought to just leave it alone.

I shook the thoughts away from my head.

“Anyway…” she continued, “…you never told me about that guy’s deal.” She discreetly gestured behind us and I cursed myself for looking. Dustin was following us with an evil smile. Shit. I totally forgot he was around.

I wrapped my arm around Liz and pulled her along to walk faster, “He’s not someone you want to know.”

Before we can get any further, Dustin ran and was standing in front of us. I turned around but almost rammed into Evan’s chest. I whirled around and pushed at Dustin’s chest, “What the fuck is wrong with you?”

He laughed and put his hand up, “Woah! I only wanted to say ‘hi’ but you started running away.” He tsked, “Why did you do that, Cade?”

I glared at him, “Because I don’t want to talk to you” I looked at Evan, “Or you!”

I know I’m making things worse now, but I just wanted to be left alone. I don’t want to fucking deal with their bullshit again. I’ve had enough of it in High School.

Dustin leaded back and put his meaty arms over his chest, “You sure you want to do this, Cade?”

My heart is pounding now, my anger is starting to die down and dread is forming in the pit of my stomach.

“She just wants to be left alone. Is that too much to ask?”

I totally forgot Liz was here, for someone so tiny she sure as hell doesn’t look intimidated by the guys.

I took a deep breath and looked at Dustin, “I’ve had enough of this shit, Dustin. You have made it clear that you hate me…” I tried to steady my voice and the tears to stop from pouring, “You’ve made your point, over and over again of what you think of me. But you don’t get to do this. You can’t fuck with my head or my life – not anymore. I won’t allow it.”

He looked at me with disdain but put on a mask of calm, he leaned down and put his mouth near my ear – I stood there frozen as he said, “I will never forget what happened, Cade. And if you think for a second that I will ever let you forget it either you’re kidding yourself.”

He leaned away from me and put on an easy smile, like he hadn’t wanted to murder me seconds ago, “I’m sorry I startled you guys,” he smiled at me and Liz, “won’t happen again.”

I was still shaking when I felt Liz grab my arms and pull me away.

Liz pushed the doors to an empty class room and sat in front of me. I put my head in my hands and started to take deep breaths to calm my pounding heart. Liz was rubbing my arms up and down, “Shit K, what the hell was that about?”

I gritted my teeth, “Liz, just leave me here.”

Liz stopped rubbing at my arms, “I’m not going anywhere.”

I couldn’t look at her and see the worry in her eyes, “Liz, just please. I need to be alone.”

I heard her sigh, “I’ll just be outside. I’ll wait.”

I just want this whole nightmare to end.

I hate them. I fucking hate them.

Chapter 10
Rob

Like the past weeks, I can’t seem to keep my eyes off Cade as she writes down on her notebook. She’s been awfully quiet and I can’t help but worry that something happened.

She even ignores all my attempts to annoy her, I’d walk with her outside every chance I get and she’d just look around like she’s waiting for something or someone. It’s like she’s lost the fight in her, the fire that I saw that first day was gone and some days I just want to shake her and ask what the hell is wrong – or how can I help.

I tried to ask her friend too, but she was tight lipped about the whole thing and told me to just ask Cade about it.

It’s taken a lot of self-restraint for me to not confront the two guys I’ve seen talking to her that first day. I’ve seen them around at parties, they look like they’re regular guys but something feels off about them.

I find myself looking for them sometimes, just to check if they’re leaving Cade alone. But with the way Cade has been acting these past weeks I feel like something’s going on with her and that she tries to keep it to herself and that just pisses me off.

If she needs help, then she should just ask – I’m not even talking about me, but she should tell her friends or her family.

I sighed heavily and she stopped writing, she took a deep breath but continued on with what she’s doing. She probably noticed that I was being quiet too. I’ve been trying to talk to her non-stop before just to get a reaction, but I’m trying something different today.

When the bell rang, I got up and walked out the door not even bothering looking behind me if she noticed.

Despite the fact she seems too focused on her studies I knew she was failing Algebra, I’d see her hide her test scores from me. And Diaz talked to her last week that she needed to work harder.

If she’s not going to talk to me, I’d have to get someone else to do that. I’m sure she’s not the type of person that likes to fail and I took that as my way in.

“I hope you know what you’re doing.” Marley said as she pushed herself off the wall.

I smiled at her, “I owe you, Lay.”

She sighed and walked the opposite direction as me. I put my hands in my pockets and walked away.

I shook my head as I look at them across the quad, Cade still in ‘her spot’, while talking animatedly to Marley and Liz.

“What the fuck could they possibly be talking about?” I asked.

“Probably you.” Chris said as he snickered beside me.

Our class was cancelled so Chris and I took the opportunity to spy on them. Chris wanted to talk to Marley but I asked him to just wait until she’s had the chance to talk to Cade.

Chris faced me, “I can’t believe when Marley told me that you’re going through all this trouble for a girl.”

I wanted to smack him on the head, “I just feel like she could use a friend. And I think you will agree that there’s no one better than Lay.”

Chris smiled, “Yeah. I’m a lucky son of a bitch.”

I laughed.

We never talk about the fact that I once was lucky to be the guy that made Marley smile but we’re past that but of course I’m the asshole that has to keep thinking about it.

“I mean, I thought ‘Woah, Rob is finally getting his head out of his ass’…” I snorted, “But now I see what the fuss is about.” He looked knowingly at me.

I shook my head at him, “Don’t say it, Chris.”

He smiled and stood a bit taller, “She’s cute.”

I think we both know that Cade’s more than just “cute”, but Chris would never say that out loud. For him the most beautiful girl in this school is Marley, I think Cade might just give him a run for his money.

Cade is almost the same height as Marley, around 5’4” / 5’5”, but that’s where the similarity ends, because where Marley’s curvy and soft, Cade is lean and strong. Marley is the girl next door, the girl everyone loves, she wears big shirts but even that doesn’t hide her body and that she’s pretty blessed in some parts. I look sideways to Chris making sure he doesn’t read minds.

I look back at Cade and thought of the first time I saw her, she might look lean and athletic but she doesn’t dress like one. I remember thinking she looked like a freaking doll.

She was wearing black leggings paired with a collared white shirt with a sweater on top. Her hair swept to one shoulder, waves touching her face. And that didn’t catch my interest at first, but that potty mouth did me in, I still laugh to myself when I remember her cussing at Professor dick.

“Hey, they’re leaving.” Chris nodded towards their direction.

“Can I go say ‘hi’ to my girl now?” He asked.

“Damn, you’re whipped.” I shook my head.

He walked away from me backwards spreading his arms wide grinning from ear to ear, “Whipped and proud, my friend.”

He ran towards the middle of the quad where Marley is packing her things, I stayed where I was and focused on Cade’s reaction. Marley spotted Chris running to her and she smiled, Chris stopped in front of them and put out his hand to shake Cade’s and Liz’.

Cade gave him an easy smile and shook his hand.

I hope she lets them in and tell them what’s been happening. Even if she doesn’t run to me with her problems, I hope she gets the help she needs.

Chapter 11
Cade

My sides are hurting from laughing at Marley and Liz’s banter; I can’t remember the last time I laughed like this. I was still wiping at my eyes when Marley checked her watch.

“Crap! I’m gonna be late!” She stood up and picked up her books and stuffed them in her bag.

I was surprised to find her in the hall way near our Algebra classroom earlier putting up posters on the bulletin board. She’s like an answered prayer because Professor Diaz just talked to me again about my test scores getting better but still ‘not quite cutting it’. My mom’s going to flip when she sees my grades when they send them out. I was panicking when I saw Marley and immediately checked what she was posting on the board – “Algebra tutor”.

She and I talked for a bit as she discussed what the tutoring will entail and what her schedule is like and it’s fucking swamped. I can’t believe I complain about having too many free periods, but she doesn’t even bat an eyelash for her three jobs, her full course load and her nanny duties for her niece.

I’m impressed that she juggles so much and still has time to date. And no, she doesn’t date just anyone, she has to date the ‘hottest guy on campus’ if Liz is to be trusted. But I guess I’m about to find out since there’s a tall and lean guy running towards Marley with an easy grin.

He stopped in front of us and I could see he was physically trying not to touch Marley, like he doesn’t want us to feel uncomfortable with their PDA.

He shook my hand and Liz’ and introduced himself. I already knew his name from what L had told me.

Chris turned to Marley to talk to her, I tuned them out just in case it was a private conversation I only caught the start of it as “Hi baby.”

I looked at L and almost laughed when I saw that she gaped at him like a fish but he hardly noticed coz he’s eyes focused mostly on Marley. He’s clearly smitten and so is she; I felt a twinge of jealously for what they have.

Marley is pretty, the kind of girl you’d like to be BFF’s with and the kind of girl boys fall for. They’re like the perfect couple, now I knew what L was saying about him, he’s tall and well-built, but his face is kind, his demeanor easy.

I felt the coldness run along my spine when I thought of exactly who he reminded me of, but Chris’ eyes are friendly, while his was calculating and cruel. I shook my head and tried to get back into the conversation.

“So, there’s this party on Saturday, I hope you guys can come.” He smiled at us. I already knew what L was thinking – “fuck yeah” but I’m not so sure if I wanted to go.

Marley must have read the apprehension on my face, she held my hand, “It would be perfect, and I only work in the mornings on Saturdays so I can tutor you until 6 or 7 then we can go to the party together.” I looked at Chris and saw that he did not know about Marley’s plans.

I looked sheepishly at her, “Well, you have my number why don’t you guys talk about it first then let me know what the plans are.” Chris smiled at me as if thanking me for being sensitive enough. Marley looked over at Chris and looked embarrassed; I guess she didn’t run it by him yet.

“Well, thanks for today Marley. I’ll keep in touch.” I faced Chris, “It was nice meeting you.”

He gave me a small salute.

Chris put his arm around Marley but Marley looked back at us craning her head, “Don’t forget to drop by the coffee shop, okay? We have a lot to talk about.” She gave me that ‘wink wink’ expression. Being friendless for a year, I haven’t really thought about it but right now I remember how it feels like – how happy it makes me to realize what I have been missing.

Liz bumped my shoulder with hers, “I told you, he’s hot isn’t he?” I laughed and put my arm on her shoulder, “Yes, you were right. He’s totally hot” putting emphasis on ‘totally’ with an eye roll.

She put her hands on her hips, “We are so going to that party, K. You can’t weasel your way out of this one.”

I bit my lip and she sighed, “I’ll be there, I promise. I won’t leave your side.”

I nodded. Maybe isolation for a year has been enough, maybe I really need to get out there and be… me. Have fun. Maybe.

My phone beeped and I immediately shut my eyes. An afternoon with Marley and Liz made me temporarily forget the chaos that had me paranoid these past few weeks.

When I was in High School the same thing happened, in an instant I have lost everything, and if that wasn’t enough I also received texts day in and day out and they were the ”we-will-bombard-you-with-hateful-messages-until-you-want-to-fucking-slit-your-wrists” type of messages. I’m just one of the lucky ones I guess, my family was there for me when everyone else abandoned me. I told them everything because I had no one to talk to anymore, and they would listen intently grit their teeth and just held my hand when I needed it.

I sighed and looked down on my cellphone, still beeping. This is their M.O. they pick a time of day – usually at random but their timing is impeccable, if I’m feeling the tiniest bit of happiness they try to reverse it with just their words.

“Who is it?” Liz asks while hitching her bag higher on her shoulders.

“No one.” I pocket my cellphone.

I don’t know why I lie to Liz about this one thing, but I just feel she’d worry more if she finds out anonymous texters have been verbally harassing me. I’m just not ready to explain why the texts are coming in, and why they are awful.

I smile at her, “I’ll see you later?”

“Sure.” She walks away with a wave.

I get in the nearest rest room and with shaky hands take out my phone, I lean my back against one of the empty stall doors and read the first message.

“Do your new friends know you almost killed someone?”

Chapter 12
Rob

I’d like to think of myself as a normal guy, I go to school, my grades have some room for improvement, I date (though some might argue that I date too much), I hang out with friends… see? Normal.

But this, this is bordering on stalker territory. Cade is sitting on a bench near the parking lot, her ride – I guess it’s her driver since it’s an older guy picks her up around 6pm. But it’s almost 7 and she hasn’t left yet, she doesn’t seem bothered by this though so I’m thinking it’s planned. And I’m like a freaking creep watching her from my heavily tinted car. After observing her for an hour, I’ve noticed two things – she likes to bite her bottom lip and she hates getting text messages. The first one, okay I must admit is pretty cute, the second one though – there’s something more to it. It’s like the messages she gets are physically hurting her, she winces or grits her teeth and I’m pretty sure she’s cursing like a sailor every time a text message comes in.

I’ve also noticed that she probably is keeping this from her friend; she seems cheerful when she’s around her. She also doesn’t take out her phone. Is my number in there? Did she even bother to save it?

I rev the engine and shift the gear so I can get out of here and then stop – like I’ve done ten times the past hour. Who am I kidding? I can’t leave until she does.

I settle back down on my seat and still watch her, the people around her are starting to leave and she seemed bothered by this. Like she’s using the people as a shield of some sort. She worries her bottom lip and stares down at her phone – I guess she’s getting a call. She answers it and she rubs at her eyebrows. The call ends and she puts her head in her hands, her hair blocks my view of her face so I don’t know if she’s crying. She finally straightens and I can see she’s on the verge of tears, what the hell is happening to this girl?

She’s wiping at a tear that slipped out and she looks down on her phone and puts the phone against her ear.

I sat a bit straighter and sighed when my phone started ringing. I rolled my eyes when an anonymous number appeared on my phone; I’m thinking it’s some random girl wanting to hookup or something. But then I realized I’m holding my personal phone, and I don’t give out this number to just anyone. I looked up at Cade and saw she was biting her bottom lip and her knee keeps bouncing up and down. I slumped on my seat and answered.

“Hello?”

I looked at Cade and she sat up, stick straight and her lips moved, “Hey.” Her voice is sweet but tentative.

I smiled and crossed my arms over my chest, “Who is this?”

She rolled her eyes as she answered, “Hey, it’s Cade. Rob, is that you?”

I smirked, “Yeah. What’s up?”

She sighed heavily and her shoulders slumped a bit, “I… I’m having… Oh God…” She stopped and took a deep breath, “I know I haven’t been exactly friendly these past few weeks and I have no right to ask you for any favors…”

I interrupted her, “Cade, I offered my number because I wanted to. So just tell me what you need.”

She inhaled and in one breath said, “My driver cancelled and I have no ride home.”

She went quiet on the other line waiting for me to say something and I just love the look on her face, it’s like she wanted nothing to do with me but didn’t have any choice. I just realized how alone she must feel right now so I just said, “Where are you?”

She looked around like she hasn’t been sitting there for the past hour, “I’m at the bench in front of gate 4.” She sighed, relief written on her face.

I sat up and started to drive, “Give me five minutes.” Then I hang up.

She looked at her phone and sighed then pocketed her phone.

I took the long way around so she won’t know I’ve been watching her like a creep.

I park the car in front of her and she obviously tenses up, I roll the window down and look at her, she exhales and stands up. I get out of the car and open the passenger door for her without saying a word.

She gets in, buckles up and puts her bag in her lap.

I pull out of the space and said, “You can put your bag in the back if you want.”

She shakes her head, “No. I’m fine. Thanks.”

I ask her where to go and she gives me the instructions, she’s out of way but I don’t mind. And she doesn’t ask where I live, and I would probably lie if she does coz I don’t want her to feel like this is too big of a favor to of ask me.

“So, what happened with your ride?”

She sighs, “I don’t know. He was supposed to pick me up an hour ago, but he didn’t show up so I called up my mom but she wasn’t answering. My brother called and said he would pick me up but he’ll be late, like another hour or so. So I just thought…” She stopped and took a sideways look at me.

I nodded, “Okay.”

She shifted in her seat to face me, “I would’ve called Liz but I knew she’s living in a dorm, I’m not that close to Marley to ask her for a ride and I think she doesn’t have a car. I know her boyfriend does but I’m not that desperate.” She took a breath, “I’m sorry, I had no one else to call.”

I looked over at a parking space and took it. Put on the e-brake and faced her, “Why are you apologizing for needing to call me when that’s exactly the reason why I gave you my number?”

She shrugged, “Because I’m taking up your time and I’m being a pain in the ass?”

I smiled, “Don’t apologize. My offer is irrevocable and without limitations.”

I was about to start the engine when she said, “Why?”

I shrugged, “Why not?”

pa update ts, shock ako ito pala yung continuetion sa storya nila marley, chris and rob hehehe nice! nice! dito ko lang pala mahahanap to hehe

Back
Top Bottom