Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Write your name in Baybayin a.k.a. Alibata [w/online transliterator]

4j9nc3.jpg

161di7s.jpg

INTRO​
_
Before our present "Makabagong Alpabetong Filipino",we had the "Abakada".but way before that,our native writing is in "Baybayin" script which later on mistakenly renamed as "Alibata"-(which is derived from the first 3 letters of the arabic alphabet.)​
__​

The Baybayin script has 3 symbols which represent the five vowels a,e,i,o,u.​
2lxeb9x.jpg

and basically,there are 14 symbols for consonants:ba,ka,da,ga,ha,la,ma,na,nga,pa,sa,ta,wa and ya.(See chart)​
.​
notice that vowels are single letters only while consonants consist of 2 letters each and they always end with a vowel.
for better understanding let's divide the consonants into 2sets:
consonants that ends with "A" are the basic symbols:ba,ka,da,ga,ha,la,ma,na and so on. ex. M,D,N in baybayin are Ma,Da,Na.​
23vayk0.jpg

2nd set are the same with the 1st,only it has a hash mark or kudlit (some uses a dot or arrow head instead of kudlit).
this mark differentiates these 2nd set from the 1st.
when a kudlit is placed above a symbol,this consonant will end with a vowel "E or I".
so consonants like Ma,Da,Na would look like these:​
21bqd74.jpg
and it would read as "me-de-ne"or "mi-di-ni" and when a kudlit is placed below a symbol,this consonant will have "O or U" vowel sound.thus Ma,Da,Na becomes "mo-do-no"or"mu-du-nu"​

2n1b62b.jpg

The letter "R" don't have a unique symbol in early baybayin script.but it is represented by the "DA"symbol​

14izqpx.jpg

then later on,a symbol for "R" was added in other variations of the script.this specific symbol was proposed by one of authorities in baybayin modernization,Norman Delos santos and is now widely used and accepted in baybayin communities.​

2jbqsf9.jpg

__​

SPANISH MODIFIED BAYBAYIN

aside from kudlit mark a cross "+"sign or "virama" is added below a consonant symbol.
the purpose of this is to omit the vowel sound from each consonant thus making it a single letter.
ex. Ma,Da,Na will become M,D,N​
kcd1g.jpg

so how does your name look like in baybayin?​
To give you an idea let me show you with my username "MEDAN" :D
.​
.​
the fun with our script is that words can be written in different ways possible.MEDAN can be written in 4ways,this is how it looks:​
.​
FIG.8
ap7ew6.jpg
​
.​
FIG.9
f37s54.jpg
​
.​
FIG.10
2582bu1.jpg
​
.​
FIG.11
2q8u8ly.jpg
​
.​
.​
FIG8 IS THE PROPER AND PRACTICAL WAY OF WRITING IT.​
.​
.​
How it works:
.​
looking at the chart,basic symbols for MEDAN are Ma,Da,Na​
FIG.12
23vayk0.jpg
but if we convert each letter of the word,​
fxgz7k.jpg
kung babasahin ay ganito "ma-e-da-a-na"hindi "me-dan".gaya rin ng word na BOTE at IBON​
ilx1tg.jpg
23sy7p1.jpg
iba na pag binasa kasi nga by syllable ang pagbasa sa baybayin letters.kaya pag sinalin ang word like MEDAN sa baybayin,hindi letra por letra kundi per syllable.my username has 2syllables "me/dan" basic characters:see fig.12 w/ kudlit above​
21bqd74.jpg
w/kudlit below​
2n1b62b.jpg
.​
now what symbols do we use?ibabase natin sa sound ng word hindi sa spelling nito.so instead of looking for m,e,d,a,n in baybayin chart,we look for "me","da" and "n" so we use​
23vayk0.jpg
ngayon ang gagawin natin para maging "ME" yung "MA" symbol, -> lagyan ng kudlit sa ibabaw.:)
now, the last letter of the 2nd syllable "dan" in me/dan have consonant "n"pero wala ng kasunod na vowel.sa early baybayin rules,ang word na consonant ang dulo na wala ng karugtong na vowel,ang last letter na yun ay di na sinusulat.so, MEDAN = MEDA​
2pzh2xj.jpg

But in our time, its hard to tell if these character symbol means MEDAN or MEDAL.:hilo::noidea:.... continue next..​

Last edited:
Ts,gusto matuto magsulat at bumasa nito..ung prof. ko kasi sabi tuturuan kami,hindi naman..

complete tut. na ba to?gusto ko talaga matuto nito

yan na po pinaka fundamentals ng baybayin.
ginamit ko lang po username ko for sample,pero naglagay na rin ako chart,links for brief history and even online transliterator.
paki intindi na lang po mabuti then ask me kung meron kayo di magets.:salute:

eto po 3 ways to write your name "gerald" which sounds "je-rald"
but since walang letter "j" sa baybayin, ang magiging kahalili ng "j" sound
ay combination of letter "D" and "Y" like the word "dyosa" which sounds like "jo-sa".so ang ginamit natin for "J" sound ay "DY".

so eto na po mamili ka na lang :thumbsup:

2efkfoo.jpg

...mraming slamat kapatid' medyo mali pla
yung version ko " ge-ya-l-d" yung nkuha ko ksing
reference may words na GE..buti nlang nakonsulta ko
muna sayo.kundi hbang buhay ko to pag sisisihan..:slap:

sa-la-ma-t..
mbuhay ho kayo! :salute:

...mraming slamat kapatid' medyo mali pla
yung version ko " ge-ya-l-d" yung nkuha ko ksing
reference may words na GE..buti nlang nakonsulta ko
muna sayo.kundi hbang buhay ko to pag sisisihan..:slap:

sa-la-ma-t..
mbuhay ho kayo! :salute:

If the pronunciation of "GERALD" starts with "G"sound as in "g-orilla",it would be GE-RALD. but if it's "J" sound,it would be JE-RALD.
Now in your translation,the "GE"character is right if the name is pronounced with "G" sound.
symbol for "L" and "D" were also correct but the "YA" character shouldn't be there.because it should be "RA" character. so were gonna use the "DA" character which is also the symbol equivalent for the letter "R" in original baybayin script.or you could use the "RA" symbol from other variation of the script.like what i used for your name.

GERALD=JERALD=DYERALD or DIYERALD*

*i gave you 3 ways of writing "GERALD"
but you can remove the cross mark under the first character "D" in "D-YE-RA-L-D"
and change it to kudlit or hash mark on top of it to make it "DI" for "DIYERALD=JERALD"

that's also the equivalent sound of "J".

If strictly original baybayin script is to be used,
the name "GERALD"(if starts with "g-sound") it would become "GE-RA" only."L" and "D" are omitted.
try to use the online transliterator,then type in GERALD
then mark the "original baybayin script".you'll see the symbol equivalent are "GE" and "DA".(remember DA is the equivalent of RA). :book:

but if "GERALD" is pronounced with a "J" sound "JERALD",then just type in DIYERALD or just DIYERA then mark the original baybayin script,and now you'll have the characters "DE/DI-YE-DA" as the equivalent of "JERALD".

Last edited:
nice magagamit ko ito sa school. Thanks keep it up *

yup,salamat din. :D
at pwede mo na rin lagay pangalan ng crush mo sa notebook mo na ikaw lang nakakabasa..:lol:

Very nice! Thanks for sharing this @ TS. Sana marami pang kababayan natin ang magkaron ng interes sa makulay at napakaganda nating kasaysayan. :clap: Natutuwa ako dun sa mga nagpa-tattoo ng Alibata. It's a brilliant way to show one's love for his/her country. Astig. :salute:

Very nice! Thanks for sharing this @ TS. Sana marami pang kababayan natin ang magkaron ng interes sa makulay at napakaganda nating kasaysayan. :clap: Natutuwa ako dun sa mga nagpa-tattoo ng Alibata. It's a brilliant way to show one's love for his/her country. Astig. :salute:

salamat din po.astig nga at may sarili tayong sulat gaya ng ibang bansa- sariling wika,sariling sulat.
Sayang lang at na abolish ang baybayin to give way sa Abakada.
Sana nga marami pa tumangkilik sa baybayin script.:)

gusto ko matuto nito hirap lng isulat ung salita kng tama o mali b....

mga sir patulong nman kng pano isulat to s alibata... salamat..

[ MAYORES ]

gusto ko matuto nito hirap lng isulat ung salita kng tama o mali b....
madali lang po yan basta kada mag convert ka ng words to baybayin,isipin mo muna ang tagalog pronunciation nito. Then saka mo iconvert .ulit ulitin mo pag basa sa tutorial para magets mo.observe din mga examples.

mga sir patulong nman kng pano isulat to s alibata... salamat..

[ MAYORES ]
eto po "MAYORES"

2jfklet.jpg

Yung una,translation using original baybayin script-->"MA-YO-DE"
where "DE" is equivalent to "RE" take note of the kudlit sa taas ng character.wala ng "S" na karugtong sa translation kasi original baybayin script ang ginamit.at ang kailangan na lang para mabuo ang "ma-yo-re-s" ay yung last letter "S" pero ang "SA" character lang available.pag ginamit natin yun,ang magiging basa na sa "mayores" ay "MA-YO-RE-SA".meron na kasing nadagdag na vowel sa dulo which is "A" dahil dun,kapag ang last letter ng word na isusulat ay nagtatapos sa consonant,ang consonant na iyon ay hindi na isinasama.sa example natin ay "mayore-s" ang last letter ay consonant kaya di na sya isasama.so it becomes "ma-yo-re = ma-yo-de".

Next one,using spanish modified baybayin script -->"MA-YO-RE-S"
here,letter "S" has an equivalent character which is the "SA"character with cross mark below to make it a single letter which is "S".

Last one is what i personally consider as "hybrid" translation.kasi i used the "RE" character from other variation of the script(visayan baybayin script) along with spanish modified baybayin script.

Last edited:
madali lang po yan basta kada mag convert ka ng words to baybayin,isipin mo muna ang tagalog pronunciation nito. Then saka mo iconvert .ulit ulitin mo pag basa sa tutorial para magets mo.observe din mga examples.

eto po "MAYORES"

2jfklet.jpg

Yung una,translation using original baybayin script-->"MA-YO-DE"
where "DE" is equivalent to "RE" take note of the kudlit sa taas ng character.wala ng "S" na karugtong sa translation kasi original baybayin script ang ginamit.at ang kailangan na lang para mabuo ang "ma-yo-re-s" ay yung last letter "S" pero ang "SA" character lang available.pag ginamit natin yun,ang magiging basa na sa "mayores" ay "MA-YO-RE-SA".meron na kasing nadagdag na vowel sa dulo which is "A" dahil dun,kapag ang last letter ng word na isusulat ay nagtatapos sa consonant,ang consonant na iyon ay hindi na isinasama.sa example natin ay "mayore-s" ang last letter ay consonant kaya di na sya isasama.so it becomes "ma-yo-re = ma-yo-de".

Next one,using spanish modified baybayin script -->"MA-YO-RE-S"
here,letter "S" has an equivalent character which is the "SA"character with cross mark below to make it a single letter which is "S".

Last one is what i personally consider as "hybrid" translation.kasi i used the "RE" character from other variation of the script(visayan baybayin script) along with spanish modified baybayin script.

Salamat d2 sir.. bka s darating na araw pa tattoo ko kz toh.. salamat ulit..

Ayos to ngayon nabubuhay na yung usapin tungkol sa baybayin,thanks ts.

naalala ko noong elementary ako napag aralan namin ang baybayin. pinapasulat pa kami ng guro namin sa pisara.

. . wow! mabuti nalng pala nka visit ako sa section na 2. . .:D intresting ! i want to Learn some stuff like this one papz. hehe. mabuhay ang sariling atin. hehehe. btw. hitted na po kita. . .share more, do more.! :clap::clap::clap:

Try nyo rin gamitin yung Online Baybayin transliterator,nasa 2nd post ko.:D

Aun oh..may nakita akong ganitong thread...nace talaga!!...thanks for sharing :D
sana matutunan ko....hehe

Back
Top Bottom