Symbianize Forum

Most of our features and services are available only to members, so we encourage you to login or register a new account. Registration is free, fast and simple. You only need to provide a valid email. Being a member you'll gain access to all member forums and features, post a message to ask question or provide answer, and share or find resources related to mobile phones, tablets, computers, game consoles, and multimedia.

All that and more, so what are you waiting for, click the register button and join us now! Ito ang website na ginawa ng pinoy para sa pinoy!

Write your name in Baybayin a.k.a. Alibata [w/online transliterator]

4j9nc3.jpg

161di7s.jpg

INTRO​
_
Before our present "Makabagong Alpabetong Filipino",we had the "Abakada".but way before that,our native writing is in "Baybayin" script which later on mistakenly renamed as "Alibata"-(which is derived from the first 3 letters of the arabic alphabet.)​
__​

The Baybayin script has 3 symbols which represent the five vowels a,e,i,o,u.​
2lxeb9x.jpg

and basically,there are 14 symbols for consonants:ba,ka,da,ga,ha,la,ma,na,nga,pa,sa,ta,wa and ya.(See chart)​
.​
notice that vowels are single letters only while consonants consist of 2 letters each and they always end with a vowel.
for better understanding let's divide the consonants into 2sets:
consonants that ends with "A" are the basic symbols:ba,ka,da,ga,ha,la,ma,na and so on. ex. M,D,N in baybayin are Ma,Da,Na.​
23vayk0.jpg

2nd set are the same with the 1st,only it has a hash mark or kudlit (some uses a dot or arrow head instead of kudlit).
this mark differentiates these 2nd set from the 1st.
when a kudlit is placed above a symbol,this consonant will end with a vowel "E or I".
so consonants like Ma,Da,Na would look like these:​
21bqd74.jpg
and it would read as "me-de-ne"or "mi-di-ni" and when a kudlit is placed below a symbol,this consonant will have "O or U" vowel sound.thus Ma,Da,Na becomes "mo-do-no"or"mu-du-nu"​

2n1b62b.jpg

The letter "R" don't have a unique symbol in early baybayin script.but it is represented by the "DA"symbol​

14izqpx.jpg

then later on,a symbol for "R" was added in other variations of the script.this specific symbol was proposed by one of authorities in baybayin modernization,Norman Delos santos and is now widely used and accepted in baybayin communities.​

2jbqsf9.jpg

__​

SPANISH MODIFIED BAYBAYIN

aside from kudlit mark a cross "+"sign or "virama" is added below a consonant symbol.
the purpose of this is to omit the vowel sound from each consonant thus making it a single letter.
ex. Ma,Da,Na will become M,D,N​
kcd1g.jpg

so how does your name look like in baybayin?​
To give you an idea let me show you with my username "MEDAN" :D
.​
.​
the fun with our script is that words can be written in different ways possible.MEDAN can be written in 4ways,this is how it looks:​
.​
FIG.8
ap7ew6.jpg
​
.​
FIG.9
f37s54.jpg
​
.​
FIG.10
2582bu1.jpg
​
.​
FIG.11
2q8u8ly.jpg
​
.​
.​
FIG8 IS THE PROPER AND PRACTICAL WAY OF WRITING IT.​
.​
.​
How it works:
.​
looking at the chart,basic symbols for MEDAN are Ma,Da,Na​
FIG.12
23vayk0.jpg
but if we convert each letter of the word,​
fxgz7k.jpg
kung babasahin ay ganito "ma-e-da-a-na"hindi "me-dan".gaya rin ng word na BOTE at IBON​
ilx1tg.jpg
23sy7p1.jpg
iba na pag binasa kasi nga by syllable ang pagbasa sa baybayin letters.kaya pag sinalin ang word like MEDAN sa baybayin,hindi letra por letra kundi per syllable.my username has 2syllables "me/dan" basic characters:see fig.12 w/ kudlit above​
21bqd74.jpg
w/kudlit below​
2n1b62b.jpg
.​
now what symbols do we use?ibabase natin sa sound ng word hindi sa spelling nito.so instead of looking for m,e,d,a,n in baybayin chart,we look for "me","da" and "n" so we use​
23vayk0.jpg
ngayon ang gagawin natin para maging "ME" yung "MA" symbol, -> lagyan ng kudlit sa ibabaw.:)
now, the last letter of the 2nd syllable "dan" in me/dan have consonant "n"pero wala ng kasunod na vowel.sa early baybayin rules,ang word na consonant ang dulo na wala ng karugtong na vowel,ang last letter na yun ay di na sinusulat.so, MEDAN = MEDA​
2pzh2xj.jpg

But in our time, its hard to tell if these character symbol means MEDAN or MEDAL.:hilo::noidea:.... continue next..​

Last edited:
thanks mind blowing pero interesting

hehe, mindblowing... I hope you mean it in a good way.
Actually,madali pa nga matutunan ang baybayin kesa iba pang ancient philippine script.

hehe, mindblowing... I hope you mean it in a good way.
Actually,madali pa nga matutunan ang baybayin kesa iba pang ancient philippine script.

Meron pa bang ibang ancient Philippine script?

Last edited:
Meron pa bang ibang ancient Philippine script?

meron pa sir.yung BUHID at HANUNO'O ng mangyan people.

Buhid
egnvoh.gif

character symbols are different from baybayin pero dito rin daw ito ibinase,so it may not be as old.
Pero ang ESKAYAN script of eskaya people from bohol is much more complicated.

ESKAYAN SCRIPT
4zuhl4.gif

the character symbols of Eskayan script totals to about a thousand more.it can be compared to hieroglyphs of egypt dahil ang bawat symbol ay nagrerepresent ng word.kaya sinasabi na mas matanda pa ito kaysa baybayin.but more study is needed on both eskayan and baybayin to determine which comes first.

Pero ang earliest known written document found in the philippines ang Laguna Copperplate Inscription (LCI) ay nakasulat sa KAWI or KAVI script na nagmula pa sa Java(Indonesia) ancient writing system na ginagamit na sa southeast asia noon pa man.at kung ibabase sa nakasulat sa LCI,ang kawi script na ang ginagamit ng mga pinoy noon pang 900a.d. centuries before magellan discovered pinas in 1521.
Ang tanong,kelan kaya nawala ang paggamit ng pinoy sa kawi script at kelan nagumpisa ang baybayin? :think:

gud day, i just want to have a writing in alibata. can you write this following names? JAYSON, JOMELYN and JARRELL ETHAN. I have my version in writing but i just want to make it sure that im writing in a correct way. hope your response here! thanks in advance;)

gud day, i just want to have a writing in alibata. can you write this following names? JAYSON, JOMELYN and JARRELL ETHAN. I have my version in writing but i just want to make it sure that im writing in a correct way. hope your response here! thanks in advance;)

sir,baka pwede ipost mo na rin dito yung image ng paraan ng pagkakasulat mo nung mga names in baybayin para makita ko na rin baka naman tama pala pagkakasulat mo.medyo hirap pa ko mag upload ng image ngayon e,you'll have to wait.i-pm kita pag naupload ko na.
Pero ganito yung mga names dapat bago iconvert to baybayin:
Jayson = DYEYSON
Jomelyn = DYOMELIN
Jarrell ethan = DYAREL ETAN
to see what it looks like,gamitin mo yung Online baybayin transliterator sa 2nd post ko then input mo itong mga names na kinonvert ko then use baybayin with spanish modification then click translate.
Eto yun--> Online Baybayin Transliterator

By the way,di na po alibata ang tawag dito kundi BAYBAYIN.
The name"Alibata" comes from the first 3 letters of the arabic alphabet- "alif, ba,and ta".ang tingin kasi nung nagrename sa baybayin ay kahawig ito ng arabic letters na nakita nya sa muslim people of maguindanao.

Last edited:

244qhpv.jpg

Jarrel ethan,Jomelyn and Jayson in baybayin script with spanish modifications.
Note that the equivalent of letter "r" in traditional baybayin script is the "da" symbol.

16le04i.jpg

161di7s.jpg

INTRO​
_
Before our present "Makabagong Alpabetong Filipino",we had the "Abakada".but way before that,our native writing is in "Baybayin" script which later on mistakenly renamed as "Alibata"-(which is derived from the first 3 letters of the arabic alphabet.)​
__​

The Baybayin script has 3 symbols which represent the five vowels a,e,i,o,u.​
2lxeb9x.jpg

and basically,there are 14 symbols for consonants:ba,ka,da,ga,ha,la,ma,na,nga,pa,sa,ta,wa and ya.(See chart)​
.​
notice that vowels are single letters only while consonants consist of 2 letters each and they always end with a vowel.
for better understanding let's divide the consonants into 2sets:
consonants that ends with "A" are the basic symbols:ba,ka,da,ga,ha,la,ma,na and so on. ex. M,D,N in baybayin are Ma,Da,Na.​
23vayk0.jpg

2nd set are the same with the 1st,only it has a hash mark or kudlit (some uses a dot or arrow head instead of kudlit).
this mark differentiates these 2nd set from the 1st.
when a kudlit is placed above a symbol,this consonant will end with a vowel "E or I".
so consonants like Ma,Da,Na would look like these:​
21bqd74.jpg
and it would read as "me-de-ne"or "mi-di-ni" and when a kudlit is placed below a symbol,this consonant will have "O or U" vowel sound.thus Ma,Da,Na becomes "mo-do-no"or"mu-du-nu"​

2n1b62b.jpg

The letter "R" don't have a unique symbol in early baybayin script.but it is represented by the "DA"symbol​

6dzjw4.jpg

then later on i believe,a symbol for "R" was added in other variations of the script.​

x4kfmp.jpg

2jbqsf9.jpg

__​

SPANISH MODIFIED BAYBAYIN

aside from kudlit mark a cross "+"sign or "virama" is added below a consonant symbol.
the purpose of this is to omit the vowel sound from each consonant thus making it a single letter.
ex. Ma,Da,Na will become M,D,N​
333gv7l.jpg

so how does your name look like in baybayin?​
To give you an idea let me show you with my username "MEDAN" :D
.​
.​
the fun with our script is that words can be written in different ways possible.MEDAN can be written in 4ways,this is how it looks:​
.​
FIG.8
2hz5o2.jpg
.​
2w5v9lj.jpg
​
.​
2582bu1.jpg
​
.​
2q1rjid.jpg

​
.​
.​
fig.8 is the proper and practical way of writing it.​
.​
.​
How it works:
.​
looking at the chart,basic symbols for MEDAN are Ma,Da,Na​
FIG.12
23vayk0.jpg
but if we convert each letter of the word,​
fxgz7k.jpg
kung babasahin ay ganito "ma-e-da-a-na"hindi "me-dan".gaya rin ng word na BOTE at IBON​
6xx2tw.jpg
23sy7p1.jpg
iba na pag binasa kasi nga by syllable ang pagbasa sa baybayin letters.kaya pag sinalin ang word like MEDAN sa baybayin,hindi letra por letra kundi per syllable.my username has 2syllables "me/dan" basic characters:see fig.12 w/ kudlit above​
21bqd74.jpg
w/kudlit below​
2n1b62b.jpg
.​
now what symbols do we use?ibabase natin sa sound ng word hindi sa spelling nito.so instead of looking for m,e,d,a,n in baybayin chart,we look for "me","da" and "n" so we use​
23vayk0.jpg
ngayon ang gagawin natin para maging "ME" yung "MA" symbol, -> lagyan ng kudlit sa ibabaw.:)
now, the last letter of the 2nd syllable "dan" in me/dan have consonant "n"pero wala ng kasunod na vowel.sa early baybayin rules,ang word na consonant ang dulo na wala ng karugtong na vowel,ang last letter na yun ay di na sinusulat.so, MEDAN = MEDA​
2pzh2xj.jpg

But in our time, its hard to tell if these character symbol means MEDAN or MEDAL.:hilo::noidea:.... continue next..​

Hi Medan,

Can you help me writing this words to baybayin
" Do a Good Turn Daily".

Thanks in advance.

Nakama121625

Hi Medan,

Can you help me writing this words to baybayin
" Do a Good Turn Daily".

Thanks in advance.

Nakama121625

5ognch.jpg

" gumawa ng mabuting baling palagi" or "always do a good turn" :salute:

Last edited:
Salamat dito sir :D

pa subscribe sa thread mo :thanks:

Hello,

I am from Australia but I considering getting a tattoo of baybayin. I have been trying to translate for days but I need help. I want to limit to the original baybayin script with no Spanish scripting

I want to get my family names and this is what I came up with, can you please advise me if this is right?

Dante (Pronouced Dahn Tay)= DA TE
Sally (Pronouced Sal ley) = SA LI
Gerald (Pronouced Je reld) = ??

Can you please help me?

Last edited:
Hello,

I am from Australia but I considering getting a tattoo of baybayin. I have been trying to translate for days but I need help. I want to limit to the original baybayin script with no Spanish scripting

I want to get my family names and this is what I came up with, can you please advise me if this is right?

Dante (Pronouced Dahn Tay)= DA TE
Sally (Pronouced Sal ley) = SA LI
Gerald (Pronouced Je reld) = ??

Can you please help me?

hello hasher22, very sorry for the late reply.haven't checked my threads for quite a while.
Your translation for DANTE and SALLY are correct using original baybayin script.
Now for "GERALD", if you haven't noticed,just checkout my sample translations at the first page just on my second post.you'll see 2 url's under the name "GERALD".just checkout the 2nd url.i explained there just how "GERALD" was translated.and what could be the symbol for a "J" sound as in "JERALD".

But according to your pronunciation of GERALD,you wrote "JE-RE-LD",if you intend it to be that way,then we'll just have to change the character "RA" in "JERALD" into "RE" thus,your "je-RE-ld".
Equivalent symbol for letter "R" is the "DA" symbol in original baybayin script.now just add a "kudlit" or hash mark above the symbol to turn it to "DE" which will serve also as "RE" character in the name "JE-RE-LD".

I have a trouble uploading now so i just recommend you to use the Online Baybayin Transliterator-->click here

then just type in one at a time your names, Dante,Sally and Jereld then click on "original baybayin script for the translation.the transliterator will do the job for you showing the equivalent symbols for the names you typed.
or directly type in;
DA TE for Dante(pronounced "dahn-tey")
SA LI for Sally(pronounced "sa-lee")
and DI YE RE for Gerald(pronounced "je-re-ld") no need to include the last two letters "L"and"D" in "gerald" as it will be omitted when using the original baybayin script.
That's it,hope you got it.:D Thanks for patronizing our site.:salute:

Ang galing naman. :clap:
Ang tagal ko nang gustong matuto nito.
Salamat ng malaki sa post mo.:praise:
Nakatulong ka sa lahat ng mga Pilipinong gustong malaman ang tunay sariling atin.
:salute::salute::salute:

nice one po..kaya lang ndi ko magets bakit inaalis yung ibang letters..nagiging gaguti tuloy..:slap:

Ang galing naman. :clap:
Ang tagal ko nang gustong matuto nito.
Salamat ng malaki sa post mo.:praise:
Nakatulong ka sa lahat ng mga Pilipinong gustong malaman ang tunay sariling atin.
:salute::salute::salute:

salamat din po,sana natutunan nyo rin :salute:

nice one po..kaya lang ndi ko magets bakit inaalis yung ibang letters..nagiging gaguti tuloy..:slap:

:D i dont have definite answer why letters are omitted.sa palagay ko na stuck lang sila sa official symbols of baybayin script.kung ano lang nakalagay dun yun na ginamit nila at di na sila nagsubstitute ng characters para sa ibang salita na may consonants.bale 6 letters lang ang nagshare sa parehong symbols sa baybayin. letters "E"and"I" shares the same symbol,"O"and"U" also and letters "D" and "R".ang pagkakaiba lang nila ay ang position ng kudlit.

Ang "katakana" at "hiragana" from Japanese syllabary chart ay halos kagaya ng baybayin wherein ang isang symbol is represented by a syllable instead of a single letter gaya ng english alphabet.
Sa japanese,they allow substitution or replacement of characters when translating foreign words,samantalang sa baybayin,tinatanggal nalang ang letter instead of replacing it with another.
Ex.kung isusulat ang word na "ballpen":
>japanese - "bo-ru-pe-n" ="bo-l-pe-n" (although walang "L" sa japanese syllabary chart,they can replace yung "L" sa "bolpen" with "ru" character)

samantalang sa traditional baybayin,tanggal ang letters na walang katumbas..
>baybayin - "bo-pe" = "bo-l-pe-n" (L and N is removed)

kaya naman,ni revise ng mga kastila ang traditional baybayin script para madali ang pagsulat,pagbasa at pagsalin ng banyagang salita.and the Spanish modified baybayin script was born.

oh my god andito ang susi ng mga sinaunang orasy0n ng mga sinaunang pilipin0,pati mga mangkukulam ginagamit nila ang alibata para makagawa ng symbols at orasy0n parasa mga ka,away thank yoù pag aaralan ko ito thank you po.

Back
Top Bottom